Thursday, July 23, 2009

Cop who arrested Henry Louis Gates: "I'm No Racist"



Just when you think this bizarre situation involving Sgt. James Crowley and Henry Louis Gates, would blow over, it continues. The charges against Crowley were dropped, he demands and apology for which Crowley refuses.....end of story right? Crowley in his five minutes fame, has been giving interviews on his take of the situation. He refuses to apologize for his actions, after all he was simply doing his job right? His reason? He is not racist, he once gave mouth to mouth resuscitation to pro basketball legend, Reggie Lewis when he collapsed in 1993.

Is that all he could come up with to support his case? I mean if I were a teacher,and a racist at that and one of my students of another race, needed mouth to mouth resuscitation, I would do it, simply because it is a part of my job. Or my jobs would be at risk. Seriously, a better argument could have been that his favorite entertainer is black, for Christ sakes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the situation was all his fault. And I'm not going to join the "It was racial profiling band wagon," because it is clear that Henry Louis Gates' status got to his head, also. Taunts of "You don't know who you're messing with," would aggravate the heck out of anybody, black, white, or blue. Had he just shut his mouth and complied with the law enforcement officer, things might have ended on a peaceful note. But then again maybe we needed this incident to initiate talks of race relations.

No comments:

Post a Comment