Wednesday, July 15, 2009

New Craze: Tweeting Through live and unpleasurable Events


Perez Hilton claimed he was assaulted by a member of the Black Eyed Peas, 26 year old Amanda Dooling, aka "Traveling Anna" provided details of a robbery she witnessed...Their medium of choice? Twitter!!! Both twitted, describing the events of thier ordeals.

Perez sent outpouring of tweets back in June about the alleged attack. "I am in shock", he wrote. "I need police ASAP. I was assaulted by Will.i.am and one of his security guards."

Dooling, a producer for a talk show website, tweeted her way through the robbery of her bank. "My bank was just held up - with me in it" she wrote. She was at the HSBC on 34th Street and 8th Avenue when the hold up took place at 9:00 AM, yesterday morning. Her barrage of tweets chronicled the events that unfolding, including her discovery that of her missing trackball, which disabled her ability to place calls. Her updates over the course of the action included: "I'm locked in the bank still ... police just arrived ... they wont let us leave the bank ... i didnt even notice and he was two people in front of me ... can we GO?!"

Yes I know we are in an age of technology, and no I am not against technology, as I believe it is a necessary evil. It develops and advances society, but these stories also show that as culture we are so over taken by it, that we do away with our ability to think and even react in our best interests. In Perez's case, aside from the fact he yearns attention,couldn't he have just called 911 himself? Heaven forbade he was really getting pummeled. Amanda Dooling,while her defense could very well be "I couldn't make any outbound calls", never bothered to tweet that she needed the police, or instructed someone to call the police,but found virtually everything else to tweet about. Moreover, she could never make a credible witness, as she was much to busy with posting updates, to be aware of what was going on around her.

Tweeting, yes is a fun hobby...but becomes unnecessary in the case of emergencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment