Friday, June 12, 2009

Cantu Suspect Has Yet to make a Plead

Talk about our tax $$ dollars going down the drain. In her four court proceedings, Melissa Huckaby,the former Sunday school teacher accused of kidnapping, raping and killing 8-year-old Sandra Cantu, still has to make a plea. While it has been reported than Huckaby has a history of mental illness, mainly depression, are there no one on her team or family competent to make a plea???!! Her court appointed attorney, Sam Behar has reported to have received over 1,000 pages of evidence, and therefore was not ready to make a plea. Without a plea, the case certainly can't proceed thru the justice system. So why even show up? Why not ask for the extra time necessary to become better prepared. This sounds more sensical to me, than wasting time and money. Heck if that's the case I should advertise as a self appointed public attorney, too. This is why I have always felt that lawyering is a necessary evil. Does it really take sifting through evidence to present a case. Whatever happened to our moral obligations? Interview your client. Did he/she admit to any wrongdoing? If so, there is your answer. Plead guilty. This is why I could never become a lawyer, particularly in criminal law, I don't know if I'd be able to sleep at night knowing that I was representing someone who was even remotely guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment